Saturday, September 17, 2011

Twitterstruck

Twitter scares me.  I can be honest about it.  It is for that reason that, when I entered the social media stream two summers ago, I decided to wait on Twitter.  I focused on creating a blog and joining Facebook.  Over the last year, I have read numerous articles about Twitter.  The number of authors who mention Twitter as one of the most important ways they connect to others indicates it is an important social media tool to use.  In August, I read a fabulous two-part blog post over at Writer Unboxed by Nina Badzin, called the Art and Science of Twitter  (which you can find part 1 here and part 2 here).  I felt ready to take the plunge.  I got a twitter handle and jumped into the Twitter stream.

I was wonderfully surprised to find Nina there to meet me.   She gave me some pointers on my profile and even generously followed me, so I wouldn’t be talking to myself in cyberspace.  Personally, I think she deserves a place in heaven just for being so kind to me!  I set up twelve people to follow, and put out a tweet.  I have since tweeted eight times over the last several weeks, and retweeted once.  I have four followers, and I don’t know what to say to them.  The Twitter current is slowly pushing me to the shores of the Twitter stream.  But I’m not going to go down without a fight.

I have noticed all of the people I am following are big name people.  While that is wonderful, because I feel like I am listening in on a conversation Neil Gaiman or Prof. Brian Cox are having with some “other person,” it also is terrible, because I am not going to interrupt that conversation.  There is no way I am going to break into their stream and start responding.  I don’t even know if I am allowed to!
I have decided that I need to follow more people with whom I can have a conversation.  I need to find people of like interests that I am not afraid to approach.  To that end, I am going to search out Twitter users who are more “normal.”  Also, if any of you, gentle readers J, would like a follower, please let me know and I would be happy to follow you.

I also am going to go back to Nina Badzin’s blog and read everything she has about Twitter.  I am convinced that I can successfully use Twitter to reach out and communicate with others.  I am just starting the trek up the sharp side of the learning curve.  Hope to see you soon on the Twitter stream!

7 comments:

  1. I was very happy to help! And thanks for the mention here. My advice is to keep tweeting . . . at least once a day. People won't follow you if don't tweet. (of course OVERtweeting is even worse.) The best thing to do is start by retweeting other people's interesting links. Keep it to writing stuff and you'll find other writers. Also, try following some more people. Check out my "favorite bloggers list." There are some great people in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nina! I will definitely check out your blog list. Once I get more of a stream going (instead of a trickle!)I imagine it will be easier to retweet, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hesitant on the twitter front too. Maybe I just need to jump in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, I would really recommend checking out those links in my blog if you want to go for it. Find me and I'll follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Lara. It was the same for me when I first joined twitter. You'll get the hang of it, I promise. :) I'm in no way as savvy as Nina, but she's right, start following others and you'll start making connections. I try to tweet in the morning and at night. Sometimes it's a retweet, sometimes it's something silly, sometimes it's about writing. Now you've got one more follower-me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Heather, for the follow - I'll be returning the favor tonight when I get home! It's helpful to know other people's approaches to content, as well. I get stage fright every time I am getting ready to hit the send button, so thanks for mentioning what you tweet, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like you're tweeting circles around me - I get stage fright too, I'm so glad I'm not really alone!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave your comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...